Templating advice

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 16:41:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 08:44:53AM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   I've been looking to update my HTML templating system to make it more
> flexible. I'd like to have a templating system that would let a skin
> redefine where various elements show up on the screen for any given page.
>
>   Thus far, my system calls a file, reads a named section, substitutes
> in variables and returns the finished HTML data as a string variable
> that I print when I am ready. I was thinking about having a "layout"
> template definition that tells the program where and in what order to
> display the components.
>
>   My question is how to go about doing this (from a high level view,
> not from a program language level).
>
>   I want the page to still layout sanely should CSS/JS be disabled, so
> I want the foundation of the templating system to use basic HTML, if
> possible.
>
>   Any suggestions, warnings or caveats I should keep in mine before
> delving into this?

Look at:

http://www.csszengarden.com/

CSS is the way to ensure consistent pages and to make layout and style
changes very flexible.

That page has hundreds of different style sheets all showing the exact
same page of content and things move all over the page and change fonts
and colours and images, and is just amazing.

Doing it in the html is just so 90s, and really shouldn't be done
anymore.

--
Len Sorensen