Linux has driven me to buy Windows Vista

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 16:40:51 UTC 2009

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>>> A weird thing happened though; About five years ago I started using
>>> Linux and F/OSS. By "use" I mean "totally fell in love with". So,
>>> over the weekend my gaming PC died. I decided to rebuild it, and
>>> because of Linux, I bought a proper copy of MS Vista.
> Not quite sure how to parse this...
>
> - The quality/usability of Linux as a games system forced you to buy Vista
>
> - Because Linux has taught you respect for intellectual property
> (through the GPL), you chose to buy (rather than pirate) Vista
>
> Was it either or both?

Both, but mostly the later. The main point of my original post was the
irony of OSS opening my eyes to the value of IP rights.

>>> So Microsoft, thank F/OSS for getting your hands on my ~$160.
> You are aware that it is still possible to buy OEM copies of XP for less...
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=001229&cid=SW.815

I decided to go Vista as I wanted a machine I'd not have to fuss with
for a few years, and XP (though still a much better OS than Vista!), is
on the back of the bell curve.

>> Why did you buy a computer just for gaming?
>>
>> You could get a PS3 for $400 (and install Linux on it as well!)
>
> Those were my thoughts as well (though I assumed that running Linux is
> less important than the gaming). My friends who are deep into this say
> that the Xbox and Wii are both much better systems (albeit in very
> different ways). And besides, I don't buy Sony -- they've done too many
> lame anti-consumer moves in the last few years.
>
> One would think that, even if you had a moderate software investment,
> replacing the games _and_ getting a new Xbox/PS3 system would be less
> expensive -- and probably better performing -- compared to a
> games-capable PC.

We have a Wii, and it's really fun!

As for why not a console, as I mentioned to Stephen, the two games I
like to play are not on the consoles. Even is they were, they really
need a keyboard and mouse. Also, I don't own a TV. :P

Madi