WAY OT; started motor capacitor sizing formula ?

David J Patrick djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 2 21:25:04 UTC 2009

Alright, I know it's not linuxy, but I have a pressing technical problem
that the outside world can't seem to answer; What size starter capacitor
do I need for a 1hp/230v oil-filled motor ?

The cap on my Blakeslee UC21 dish sanitizer has blown (again) and I'm
trying to replace it with one that will last more than 6 months. The
original cap is long gone, the dishwasher manufacturer has no clue, and
the motor manufacturer says "bring it in". Sadly, motor removal and
replacement in this scenario is a Big Deal..

Surely there exists some general formula that will get me into the
proper microfarad range, but none of the electrical geeks at any of
these suppliers has any idea.

please to help ?
djp