xine sound crippled

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 28 23:18:20 UTC 2009

On February 27, 2009 11:11:16 pm Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> After some extra reading on from googled links (usually, a really waste
> of time) and experimenting, now I have two more comments. How accurate -
> I am not sure.
>
> 1. No good documentation on how to use mplayer. Or, rather, so many
> options on command line that are hard to understand that one can get
> crazy very fast and go back to windows rather.

You can ignore most of the options. One nice thing about the preponderance of
options is that you can often do whatever you want with mplayer. For instance
it's probably the easiest way to rip an arbitrary media stream from the
Internet, once you figure out the appropriate handful of flags.

> 2. I suspect that my video card, which is somewhat outdated (ATI
> Mach64/3DRag) might be the source of the problem with video.

I don't know why you're not seeing video with mplayer, it's Just Worked for me
for years.

For video, the option is -vo and allows you to select the video output driver.
I don't know what works with such an old video card, but there's only so many
drivers so one of them is bound to work.

Some (all?) of mplayer is configurable graphically via the gmplayer GUI
version.