icecast2 server

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 27 22:02:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Merv Curley <mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Friday 27 February 2009, Neil Watson wrote:
>> Is your goal to stream to multiple locations or pull a single stream
>> upon request?  I tried Icecast long ago but abandoned after being
>> unsuccessful.  I only wanted something I could query and stream for
>> personal use so I went with gnump3d instead.
>
> Well I have some 16 GB of CD's on a hard drive.  Since there are several
> computers in the house along with one on the hi-fi system, I thought I would
> like to just leave music running and be able to listen to it, where ever I
> was in the mansion.

Sockso might be an alternative.  I tried it briefly when it came on a
recent LFX coverdisc (last month?) and was rather impressed with the
implemetation.

Summary from the home page:

  "Sockso is a free, open-source, personal music server for everyone!
It's designed to be as simple as possible so that anyone with a mouse
and some mp3's can get their friends listening to their music across
the internet in seconds!"

http://sockso.pu-gh.com/

--
  Scott Elcomb