Presentations and presenters

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 27 21:18:39 UTC 2009

Dear all,

As mentioned at the February meeting, Colin McGregor and I are the
current talks coordination committee.  We believe, and the February
attendees concurred that having a speaker and topic lined up in advance
for a meeting or two is a Good Thing.

For that to happen we need a few things to intersect.  Namely, a
volunteer speaker, a compelling topic, and the time and motivation to
put the abstract on the TLUG web site.  You can help with all of these
things.

0.  Ideally, you have expertise in a compelling topic, a prepared
presentation and you want to deliver a talk at our next meeting.  Are
you a capable and comfortable presenter as well, with an easy sense of
humour and a natural presentation delivery?  You should let us know.
Really.

Let's be more practical now.  What if you don't consider yourself to be
that charming and entertaining Unicorn of a prepared presenter?  You can
still help.  Do these things:

1.  Suggest a topic that you would like to attend.  You may hit on a
popular and compelling topic and inspire one of our members to offer to
present.

2.  Suggest a speaker who you would like to have at TLUG.  Do you know
an expert in a FLOSS software package who is not a TLUG member?  Perhaps
an amazing illustrator who uses Inkscape and Scribus?  Those would make
great talks, even if, or perhaps because, the presenter is not a
programmer.

3.  Think again about what would interest you in a presentation topic.
Have you done something recently that took more time than it might have,
had the task been illustrated at a previous meeting?  Turn that in to a
talk for TLUG that will save time for us when we have to perform that
task.  We want more voices to be heard at TLUG and more perspectives.

Best regards,
Richard