NewTLUG and Seneca?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 26 19:47:41 UTC 2009

| From: Marc Lanctot <lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>

| I'm sure this is an old discussion, so I'll just attempt to end it with "has
| anybody ever proposed a compromise"? Like meeting along a north/south subway
| along say around 401 like Yorkdale or Yonge/401? Somewhere you don't have to
| take another bus after. I'm assuming there's no good place to meet there..

TLUG first met in such a place (in the mid 1990s): the North York
Memorial Hall.  It is in the same building as the North York Central
Library and next to the old North York City Hall.  The North York City
Centre stop on the Yonge subway line is right there.

Parking is free after 18:00 if you know where to find it (side streets
a block or two away).

The rooms cost money but I don't know how much.

It is possible to rent rooms from the library as well.

The Asterisk Users Group holds meetings in the old City Hall.  Again,
those committee rooms surely cost money.  I don't know where that
money comes from since there are no membership dues.

So I guess that the sticking point is funding.

I think that it is wonderful that York and IBM have been providing
free space.

I'd even like to think that holding meetings at York would cause more
students to get involved.  I have the impression that this isn't the
case -- is there a way to fix that?  Is there a York CS club?  Could
they they join in?  That would surely change the nature of the
meetings but that might be a good thing.

The same could be said about U of T.  I don't really notice a large
student contingent at TLUG.  Sad that we're mostly a bunch of old
timers (like me!).