NewTLUG and Seneca?

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 26 17:31:56 UTC 2009

Colin McGregor wrote:
> At the January meeting one of the questions that was asked was why not
> have the meetings downtown? My answer was that while I don't know why
> it is there seems to be a suburban/downtown split, many people who go
> to one meeting will not go to the other. Then I tossed the question
> out to the 20+ people who were there "How many would not have attended
> the meeting if it had been downtown?". About 3/4 of the people raised
> their hands...
>
> So, because of suburbanits who will not come downtown there is a need
> for meetings out on the edge of the city, but we need (a) location(s)
> people will go to. Put another way, U of T is a fantastic venue, but
> it is in the wrong part of the city for NewTLUG purposes...
>
> When we meet at IBM, it is the IBM office on the north east corner of
> Steeles and Pharmacy.

Yeah someone explained to me several months ago and after living in
Toronto I now see why; it's just seems easier to either a) stay in the
main part of the city and use the subway or b) stay in the GTA and
travel by car.. crossing that line seems to add pain and frustration.

The problem is still that the GTA is so **** huge (geographically) on
its own that even York is "far" for people living in, say, Scarborough
or Mississauga. Personally, I avoid driving as much as I can in Toronto.

I'm sure this is an old discussion, so I'll just attempt to end it with
"has anybody ever proposed a compromise"? Like meeting along a
north/south subway along say around 401 like Yorkdale or Yonge/401?
Somewhere you don't have to take another bus after. I'm assuming there's
no good place to meet there..

I think your claims on attendance are really due to the subject. There
just aren't many people interested in Linux & Games (unfortunately).
Maybe your January meeting would have attracted downtowners to make up
for the lost 3/4 of the suburbanites that you mention.

In summary, Toronto is too vast. We need quantum teleportation. :)

I promise I'll make it to the next NewTLUG if I'm in town and there's
sufficient notice (>= 5 days). I've been meaning to go to both meetings
because I haven't met anybody here yet...

Marc

--
If you want to accomplish something in the world, idealism is not
enough-- you need to choose a method that works to achieve the goal.