NewTLUG and Seneca?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 26 16:53:45 UTC 2009

On 2/25/09, Marc Lanctot <lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:
>> Last evening I went out to talk about Linux Games at the Seneca
>> NewTLUG meeting... What can I say, the turnout was to be polite, sad
>> ... very sad ... More to the point, this isn't the first time I've
>> done a Seneca talk, where the total peak attendance was under 5
>> people.
>>

> [...]
>
>> Ideas, suggestions?
>
> I really wanted to make it out last night and couldn't so now I feel
> especially bad that I didn't. If you prepared slides could you send them
> to me?

After a presentation I want to include things I learned from the
audience, so give me a bit...

> - What is NewTLUG and how is it different than TLUG?

NewTLUG was traditionally the new user meeting, things have seemingly
evolved to where NewTLUG is in practice the suburban user group, while
TLUG is the downtown group...

> - Herb sent out the reminder 2 days before the meeting.. that's not a
> lot of time to plan for it. I'd recommend 4-5 days, even a week. And
> maybe a 2-day-before reminder.
>
> - I'm guessing the set of people interested in games and set of people
> interested in Linux don't have a large intersection. I'm one of the few
> in there.. but throw in the following and it gets even harder...
>
> - York is out of the way. I was stuck downtown until 7ish.. so going
> home and then taking the car to York after a long day did not appeal to
> me, especially since I was going to miss most of the meeting. Add
> 401+400 traffic and paying for parking.. it's just not fun. If the
> meeting was near or at UofT, or along a subway line I could have
> attended and probably made it on time.
>
> - If location is a problem I can look into using some rooms at UofT..
> (we can do half/half with IBM maybe?) that could be "the other venue".
> I've had to book rooms for other stuff before and being a grad student
> that kind of thing is easy to do. Let me know if you're interested. In
> passing, where is IBM?

At the January meeting one of the questions that was asked was why not
have the meetings downtown? My answer was that while I don't know why
it is there seems to be a suburban/downtown split, many people who go
to one meeting will not go to the other. Then I tossed the question
out to the 20+ people who were there "How many would not have attended
the meeting if it had been downtown?". About 3/4 of the people raised
their hands...

So, because of suburbanits who will not come downtown there is a need
for meetings out on the edge of the city, but we need (a) location(s)
people will go to. Put another way, U of T is a fantastic venue, but
it is in the wrong part of the city for NewTLUG purposes...

When we meet at IBM, it is the IBM office on the north east corner of
Steeles and Pharmacy.

> - If you're willing to re-give your talk I would be very grateful :-p I
> very much wanted to hear it! I'm totally up for discussion on gaming in
> Linux. And then you won't have to prepare anything and you'll have a
> bigger audience!

Well, I would have to rework (slightly) what I did for this past Tuesday...

> Marc
>
> --
> Without requirements or design, programming is the art of adding bugs
> to an empty text file.
>    -- Louis Srygley

Colin McGregor