NewTLUG and Seneca?

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 26 03:07:54 UTC 2009

Colin McGregor wrote:
> Last evening I went out to talk about Linux Games at the Seneca
> NewTLUG meeting... What can I say, the turnout was to be polite, sad
> ... very sad ... More to the point, this isn't the first time I've
> done a Seneca talk, where the total peak attendance was under 5
> people.

[...]

> Ideas, suggestions?

I really wanted to make it out last night and couldn't so now I feel
especially bad that I didn't. If you prepared slides could you send them
to me?

- What is NewTLUG and how is it different than TLUG?

- Herb sent out the reminder 2 days before the meeting.. that's not a
lot of time to plan for it. I'd recommend 4-5 days, even a week. And
maybe a 2-day-before reminder.

- I'm guessing the set of people interested in games and set of people
interested in Linux don't have a large intersection. I'm one of the few
in there.. but throw in the following and it gets even harder...

- York is out of the way. I was stuck downtown until 7ish.. so going
home and then taking the car to York after a long day did not appeal to
me, especially since I was going to miss most of the meeting. Add
401+400 traffic and paying for parking.. it's just not fun. If the
meeting was near or at UofT, or along a subway line I could have
attended and probably made it on time.

- If location is a problem I can look into using some rooms at UofT..
(we can do half/half with IBM maybe?) that could be "the other venue".
I've had to book rooms for other stuff before and being a grad student
that kind of thing is easy to do. Let me know if you're interested. In
passing, where is IBM?

- If you're willing to re-give your talk I would be very grateful :-p I
very much wanted to hear it! I'm totally up for discussion on gaming in
Linux. And then you won't have to prepare anything and you'll have a
bigger audience!

Marc

--
Without requirements or design, programming is the art of adding bugs
to an empty text file.