AVCHD (video camera) formatting under Linux

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 25 17:57:00 UTC 2009

Hello,

Does anyone here have any experience converting .mts files (the high def
video created by Canon, Sony and other makes -- also known as AVCHD) to
to podcast-sized videos (mp4, flv, whatever) using open source tools?

I've been trying mencoder and ffmpeg, both with unsatisfying results.
They can both read the mts format but produce files that are out of sync
and/or missing frames.

Some of the web resources talking about this make reference to a package
called 'xporthdmv' that I can't seem to find anywhere.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. At very least, are the opinions
on ffmpeg vs mencoder for this kind of task?

Thanks!

- Evan