LGPL, GPL, BSD licenses [Was: OSS/Linux Games Programming]

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 25 17:51:20 UTC 2009

On 2/25/09, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> One of the things I would eventually like to do is develop some small
> commercial products. Even if they're just something small and silly
> like an iPhone game.
> My initial thoughts would be to have a short closed-source release
> cycle for the project's core, possibly with a "modding" SDK. Once
> enough time passes or some form of sustainable revenue cycle emerges,
> to release to full source (I believe that ID et al did this with some
> older engines).
>
> I know that most Linux/Unix users are fairly against the concept of
> any non-open software (and one has to be careful with how/what
> libraries one uses to avoid (L)GPL issues), but how do you all think
> the concept of a to-be-open release would work? One could even
> incorporate wording into a new license that basically says the game
> source would be "liberated" upon certain conditions being met, which
> would prevent things from becoming like WineX/Cedega.
>
> Again, I know a lot of people are against the idea of such things, but
> in these times it's fairly hard as it is to find time for the
> projects. Enough money to pay the bills could mean more dedication to
> the project itself.
>
> Actually, one thing I considered also would be to allow source
> releases for one platform, and binaries for another. Give the windows
> users binaries and the linux users source (or source for "opened"
> iphones and binaries for the iTunes store, etc).
>
> - TJA

A sort of third route that has been taken by ID Software for their
older games is to release the source code under the GPL, but not
release the data files. So, want to produce a first person shooter
type game, well, the source for some older games is out there, but you
will have to come up with your own monster definitions and level
descriptions...

Colin McGregor