Taking HP to the BBB...?

I. Khider contact-uc+NVM1kvX9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 25 21:23:00 UTC 2009

Hello Evan,

Just an update on the Windows tax and Linux warranty backing. So far the
sales team at HP have not confirmed Bob's claim that Hardware Warranty
is backed if one installs Linux. But I am sure they will be told
eventually.

The second part is HP insists I buy the computer with Windows as they
are powerless to remove the operating system. I called Microsoft and
spoke with a helpful fellow named Storey (who uses Suse linux at home)
who showed me the link to the Micorsoft end user license agreement

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/hardwarr.mspx

and Microsoft legal who must be contacted by fax 1-425-706-7409

Storey said legal would help me deal with HP if the latter refused to
remove windows, or would help remove the OS if HP was powerless to do
so.

With regards to hardware diagnostics, I could switch to Ubuntu to test
the wireless devices et al as I have a support contract with Canonical.
It is no biggie to operate outside the wonderful world of Windows.

Bob quoted $100 for the Windows OS, maybe chump change to you but that's
a lot of coffee money to me.

; - )

Sure it's a royal pain to go through this, but someone has gotta clear
the way for Linux users. I know of at least one other Linux user who
plans to buy an HP laptop in the next couple of months. He should be
able to ask for a warranty and removal of Windows without hassle.

As long as a Linux customer gets hassle from sales at HP or any
corporation, the latter is anti-linux in my books. They may display all
sorts of public acts about how nice and Linux friendly they are, but
they should be 100% pro Linux or not at all. 50 or 60% or whatever is
not good enough.

-ib-