OSS/Linux Games Programming (was "Re: [TLUG-ANNOUNCE]: Feb 24th NewTLUG meeting - games available under Linux")

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 25 03:57:51 UTC 2009

Herb Richter wrote:

> This month's NewTLUG meeting will be held at Seneca College on the YorkU
> campus in room S2168 (SEQ building) - upper kaleidoscope room

I'm sorry that I could not make it out tonight, but here's an email I
sent to Colin that I realize is relevant to the list.. I was hoping to
talk about this with some of you tonight...

----

What an excellent subject! (The NewTLUG meeting subject)

I've been thinking about forming or joining an existing "Linux/OSS
Gaming Project" (a group of people interested in programming open-source
games) lately. I'd like to know if there are any LUG members who would
be interested in this as well, or even just forming a small group that
would develop games in their spare time in the hopes that eventually it
got big enough and be like a Sourceforge for games but with more
emphasis on building a community of OSS games programmers that would
contribute to each other's game projects.

A few days ago I've been playing around with GCCG (http://gccg.sf.net/).
I don't know if you've tried it or will be talking about it but if not
maybe I can offer a few words. It's a general CCG engine; it has a
virtual economy etc. for buying/trading/selling cards-- right now it has
servers running 5-6 games and it's active, meaning there are people
playing games on the servers so you can find people to play with. I
haven't looked much into the code yet but I probably will because I
wanted to make such a thing and had started but never had the time to
finish it; now, I'm hoping to use it for a game I had in mind.

I also had another idea a while back about an "Open Gaming Site". Sort
of like a completely open/Web 2.0 version of Yahoo Games where anybody
can develop and submit a game for others to play. Like Richard Rognlie's
PBEM server but for games played in real-time. I've had a friend working
on this since I had to bow out due to lack of time.. not sure how far
he's gotten, though. Also, I think Kongregate might beat us to this. But
it may be worth mentioning. The great thing about this idea is that it
would catch on fast and have tons of good games eventually but the
server maintenance would be something someone would have to do full-time.

Marc

--
A computer without Windows is like chocolate cake without mustard.
   -- Unknown