Taking HP to the BBB...?

I. Khider contact-uc+NVM1kvX9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 24 18:08:34 UTC 2009

Hello Robert and thanks for the update, much appreciated.

I forwarded the link to the HP sales rep I have been dealing with.

Richard Weait was super-helpful by introducing me Bob Gobeille who works
at the HP Open Source Program Office. Bob spoke with the World Directory
at HP and got them to change the warranty policy on HP products for
Linux users. This means that HP, like Toshiba, Averatec, Asus, et al
will fully back their hardware warranty for servicing if Linux is
installed. Bob informed me that a circular was passed down to HP call
centre managers to spread the good word for Linux users.

Of course, Jamon spoiled the victory when he posted about how I can get
a refund on the Windows OS. (Those Linux users, give 'em an inch and
they want a kilometer! ) Now I will settle for nothing less than
complete removal of the Windows OS AND an OS refund with the machine
upon purchase.

Again, Bob at HP says that is possible--but he referred me the US site
where a buyer can remove the OS, not so for Canada, yet. My HP sales rep
(Glenna, who uses Ubuntu on her machine, hence why I like her) has yet
to get back to me to confirm all this wonderful information. Upon
confirmation, however, I said I will place an order. Bob mentioned it
will take time for the information to spread at HP as it is a big
company. I would love to see the face of those call centre mangers,
technicians and other sales people who told me otherwise.

This is great information and I will spread it to other Linux users I
know to ensure they do not pay the Windows tax.

Vivat Linux and super-helpful Opensource People!

-ib-