Questions from a Linux user considering a Macbook

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 21 21:26:05 UTC 2009

Thanks for all the feedback. I certainly did not intend to start a "Mac
vs. PC" argument.

This is a summary response to the last few posts.

I forgot to mention in my original email that I'm considering buying the
Macbook because sometimes you need things to "just work" or "be
officially supported". In my case, when I'm giving a presentation at a
conference -- that's not the time to stumble with video card / projector
incompatibilities or failing wireless drivers, etc.. Also, it will
mostly be used by my girlfriend around the house when my our main
desktop is tied up by me working. Ok I'll admit it, maybe I'd also like
to play Magic: The Gathering online without running a virtual OS or
rebooting.

That being said I tend to find Windows bulky and awkard to use in
general and outright dreadful for my work. MacOSX is based on BSD Unix
(right?) and it seems that over the years there's been a good deal of
effort by the community to get good Unix/Linux/MacOSX compatibility.
Thinking that I'd like to use the machine for working when I'm
out-of-town it would be nice if I didn't have to install a Linux
dual-boot with MacOS. In general I don't like running virtual operating
systems; I'd rather not do that.

I had an Acer laptop's hard drive crash on me recently after only a year
after buying the thing.. I'm not clumping it with all "PC laptops" but
in general the Macs tend to be lighter. This new one-piece-aluminum
Macbook seems as robust and light as ever. Who knows.. if there is a
design flaw we'll probably know about it in the next year or so. Also,
my impression was that Apple produces better hardware in general for the
same price, not the other way around. From what I gather in the

So I'd only be using the Macbook for work once in a while and when I do
it would be nice to have a work environment that doesn't slow me down,
hence all my original questions. And, I'd rather do it in MacOSX which
would save me the trouble and hassle of dual-booting it with Linux. It
seems that I'll be able to do this nicely and still get everything I
want, but if not I'll dual-boot it with Linux and post my notes about
experience. If I have extra time somewhere maybe I'll just do it for the
fun of it and to see the face of Mac zealots when I boot the thing up in
Ubuntu :)

Marc

--
A computer without Windows is like chocolate cake without mustard.
   -- Unknown