Questions from a Linux user considering a Macbook

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 21 17:57:50 UTC 2009

Hi there,

> Hoewever, I also think Mac's are very expensive for what you are
> getting and if you use Linux, I do not see the point in having one.
> Linux can be very empowering and the perfect way to get all the
> features of a Mac--or better--at a fraction of the cost. Mac's are
> too darn expensive (in my opinion). Also, I have spoken with several
> laptop repair persons who say Mac's are fragile and if they last
> long--it is because people who shelled out a bundle of cash for them
> treat them more carefully. My opinion is that you get the sturdiest
> machine for your money--like a business class laptop from any
> manufacturer--Lenovo, Sony, HP, Toshiba, Dell, whatever. They are
> usually less expensive than a Mac, have just as much power if not
> more so--and with a Linux OS, you will have the best of all worlds.

It appears your opinion is based on purely circumstantial evidence:
you are using the opinions of others, and your own impressions to
support your beliefs. Here's an example of circumstantial evidence
being used to support an opposite position:

New Mac users, whether they come from Windows or Linux, find
themselves impressed by the operating system. Linux users in
particular really enjoy not having to worry about drivers and
compatibility: things just work. These people value their time as they
do money: time spent getting all the features of a Mac to actually
work, and who prefer to actually do the work they've purchased their
computer for.

That last paragraph is brought to you by the (perhaps) dozens of
people who have commented in this way to me. Still, it's
circumstantial, until you *try it yourself*. You haven't done that.

I'm not saying you should, either. But perhaps you should, before
commenting on this thread.

> My opinion is find the best value for your money--do not pay for the
> MAC machine OS/X if you can avoid it. Use the extra money on
> something else.

It's Mac, not MAC. This isn't the Macintosh Acronym Club. I won't even
go near how you conflate OS X with OS/2! :-D

> That's my 2 cents.

Gomen nasai, that's about what it's worth.

Aaron.

P.S. This is not an attack on Linux! I've said it before, and it bears
repeating: Linux is awesome. But if someone wishes to use the Mac,
then it's worth mentioning that the platform has its advantages. Every
platform does; your choice as a consumer is to decide which platform
will give you the biggest win.