Questions from a Linux user considering a Macbook

I. Khider contact-uc+NVM1kvX9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 21 22:44:20 UTC 2009

Hello,

Certainly Mac computers are aestheticaly pleasing, very well marketed
and their operating system apparently is a very good one.

Hoewever, I also think Mac's are very expensive for what you are getting
and if you use Linux, I do not see the point in having one. Linux can be
very empowering and the perfect way to get all the features of a Mac--or
better--at a fraction of the cost. Mac's are too darn expensive (in my
opinion). Also, I have spoken with several laptop repair persons who say
Mac's are fragile and if they last long--it is because people who
shelled out a bundle of cash for them treat them more carefully. My
opinion is that you get the sturdiest machine for your money--like a
business class laptop from any manufacturer--Lenovo, Sony, HP, Toshiba,
Dell, whatever. They are usually less expensive than a Mac, have just as
much power if not more so--and with a Linux OS, you will have the best
of all worlds.

I have an IBM thinkpad from 1996 that still works. That thing is a
brick.

The big problem with *some* PC manufacturers are the spurious claim that
you have to pay the Windows tax and use nothing but Windows if you want
a warranty. That claim can (and is) being fought. I got word from an HP
rep that warranty can be backed if you use Linux and you don't have to
pay a Windows tax--but I will believe it once the sales people tell me
so as well.

My opinion is find the best value for your money--do not pay for the MAC
machine OS/X if you can avoid it. Use the extra money on something
else.

That's my 2 cents.

-Ib-