semi-green computing

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 21 02:21:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 15:21 -0500, Giles Orr wrote:
> 2009/2/19 Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>:
> > I am not sure X officially supports running multi session.  The problem
> > is that all mice and keyboards are by default combined into a single
> > source of input.  You have to work against that system and split it up
> > and run X in raw mode for at least one of the keyboards.
>
> Interestingly, X does at least support multiple pointers and keyboards:
>
> http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/?q=mpx
> http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/?q=node/144
>
> What these essentially say is that A) someone developed a
> "Multi-Pointer X Server" and B) that it's been merged with Xorg.  So
> the support appears to be there - although whether it's made it to the
> distros yet is open to question when the merge was May 2008.
>
> A short session with google also turned up this page:
>
> http://www.linuxtoys.org/multiseat/multiseat.html
>
> It references the tyler blog someone else mentioned, but seems to be
> more straight-forward.

i've seen that bob smith article before, it is part of the inspiration
for me.  tyler's recent article
(http://blog.chris.tylers.info/index.php?url=archives/184-Multiseat-on-Dual-ATI-and-Dual-NVIDIA.html&serendipity[csuccess]=moderate#feedback) gives some hope that it MIGHT be possible to do a multiseat setup with one card, though i don't think he's desscribing having done it -- he's suggesting you might be able todo it using Xephyr, which isn't exactly what i hoped for but might have to be good enough.

Matt Price
matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org