"green" drives and hdparm

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 21 02:16:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 17:52 -0500, Michael Lauzon wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 17:43, Matt Price <matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Most of the HDD manufactures -- Western Digital, etc -- are making
> "green" drives along with their regular ones.

anyone know much about this?  I will use old drives for the os(es) but
hopefully a huge new drive for video.  i'd really like to have it
parked//off when it's not in use -- that is, if nothing's recording or
playing.  i remember there's been controversy about setting hd
powersaving parameters, especially in ubuntu, where i\iirc there were
lots of dead drives as a result of a bad policy decision....

thx,
matt

--
Matt Price