Questions from a Linux user considering a Macbook

Kyle O'Donnell kyleodonnell-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 20 22:37:03 UTC 2009

I just picked up my macbook on the weekend and I was going to run
Linux instead of OSX, but I figured I would give OSX a try for a
while.

I've been running a UNIX based (Linux/Free/OpenBSD) desktop as my
primary machine for over a decade and I was reluctant at first, but
after only 3 days I am ... wouldn't say converted, but very impressed.

I find myself using X11 less and less and native osx apps more.  There
seem to be a number of equivalent tools available natively.

Don't forget about macports, which brings bsd style ports to osx (if
you are not familiar, ports ==apt-get||yum)