Questions from a Linux user considering a Macbook

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 20 19:06:29 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm considering buying one of the new one-piece Macbooks. I apologize in
advance; I know nothing about these or their OS. I'm looking for answers
from people who've had experience in doing what I am considering doing
and can shed some light on there experience.

Can you comment on:

- general compatibility of X-based apps and the leading X server. Would
I be able to compile and run, eg. gvim, without an X-server? Would
running gvim be slow because I have to run and X server just to use it?

- fink; its compatibility and package support. Is it a sufficient
analogue of APT? In particular, for example can I use fink to install
boost/boost-dev, gvim, and/or GLPK? Does it work like apt and resolves
dependencies & downloads binaries (no compilation required)? Is
installing free / open-source stuff as easy and painless as it is on say
Debian and Ubuntu?

- suppose I download the source of a random non-X open source project
intended to compile+run on a Linux machine. How likely is it that it
will build on MacOS X? Will pretty much any piece of source code that
has Linux system calls fail to compile in MacOS X? I assume the worst
but maybe you can be the bringer of good news!

- do the mac books come (only) with Intel chips now? Are they 64-bit
processors?

- in the worst case if MacOS X will slow me down then maybe I'll
dual-boot the thing. Do you know of anybody who has a Mac/Linux
dual-boot? Have you done it? In general, is this hard to setup or
cumbersome to maintain?

- As a Linux user is there any reason you would recommend against buying
a Macbook (other than the "proprietary is evil" argument)?

Marc

--
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
   -- Steven Wright