Taking HP to the BBB...?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 19 21:31:08 UTC 2009

I. Khider wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> What does TLUG think of reporting HP to the Better Business Bureau about
> their anti-Linux policy?
>
> Linux is used in the business and public service world, and this policy
> goes against that. I agree tech support can be voided, but not hardware.
> I have filed reports against big business before and think maybe this it
> is time to do so again. I suppose I would have to buy the machine before
> I file the report...or not?
>
> HP has 'business laptops', so their policy is anti-business. They are
> not selling what is advertised.
>
> Anyway, what does everyone here think about the feasibility of this?

Yours is a clear case of exclusive dealing and perhaps tied selling, not
false advertising etc. However, I'm not sure what Canada says about it
outside of the banking world e.g.
http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/consumers/rights/tiedselling/rightstiedselling-eng.asp

"However, banks in Canada are not allowed to engage in "coercive tied
selling" or "forced purchases". This means that banks are not allowed to
unduly pressure or coerce you into obtaining a product or service from
them or from their affiliates, as a condition for obtaining another
product or service from them. This practice, called coercive tied
selling, is illegal in Canada."

More relevant to your purposes is the Competition Bureau:
http://www.stratdemo.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/01246.html

You have to prove the following (quoting):

The exclusive dealing, tied-selling and market restriction sections of
the Competition Act may apply when the following conditions are met:

     * The conduct is engaged in by a major supplier or is widespread in
a market. A firm with less than 35 percent market share is not generally
considered to be a major supplier. However, market share is only one
factor that must be considered. Others include the existence of barriers
to entry that limit competition, a lack of substitute products, and lack
of competition among existing suppliers.
     * The conduct in question constitutes a practice. Different
restrictive acts considered together, as well as repeated instances of
one act with one or more customers, may constitute a practice.
     * The restrictive practice discourages a firm's entry into, or
expansion in, the market; in other words, you must show an exclusionary
effect.
     * The practice has substantially lessened competition, or is likely
to do so. This may happen when the supplier's restrictive practice
prevents, for example, a rival's entry into the market, potential
competition, product innovation or lower prices.

I know from experience that with Lenovo when buying a thinkpad last
year, speaking to a manager and mentioning exclusive dealing and tied
selling quiets them down pretty quickly. I got a $75 credit because I
refused to accept the vista eula. At first Lenovo said that they
wouldn't honour the license from microsoft that plainly explained that
the oem is responsible for refunding a customer's money. After reading
it to the manager over the phone he admitted that they don't have an
actual price of windows to refer to, which is when I noted the
competition bureau would probably have something to say about that.

I was also told that Linux would not allow me to use my warranty if it
was installed on the thinkpad with no version of windows that their
technicians could use. That despite the fact that Lenovo offered SuSE on
the very Thinkpad that I purchased..

Jamon