Second draft of RFI response

Steve Harvey sgh-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 19 18:34:31 UTC 2009

  Evan,

  Thanks for taking the time to produce this.  I have only one concern
after my quick reading of it:

  Q7:

  "Open source software developers have never asserted patents or other
intellectual property claims on such formats and interfaces."

  It takes only a single counter example to demolish this.  I wouldn't
trust that no vendor wouldn't try to sneak their patent pending interface
into general acceptance by making the source code freely available.
Such shenaningans are often used by hardware vendors with regards to
standards bodies.  As FLOSS becomes even more mainstream, I'd expect
to see such attempts happen more often.  Even a government is beholden
to treaty obligations.

-sgh