BSD Users? Re:was "Any Gentoo Users on this list?"

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 19 15:26:02 UTC 2009

Actually, one thing I'd be interested in hearing about would be if
there are any desktop BSD users.

In my previous job I maintained about 80-90% Linux servers (with some
BSD, and a few windows), so it's been a switch to about 80-90% BSD at
my current position.
My impressions over the last 15-18 months have been quite positive for
BSD in terms of servers, with the OS itself being very solid. My
primary complaints are in the annoyance of upgrading outdated BSD's
(but then again, Linux is a big PITA too) and that Linux seems to have
support for more drivers.

I haven't played with desktop BSD at all, but if anyone has any
thoughts/contributions it would be quite interesting for myself and
possibly others in the group. The ports tree is in some ways
comparable to Gentoo in that it provides source packages/dependencies
for a huge amount of software.

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2