Response to the Federal govt RFI

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 18 23:39:39 UTC 2009

| From: Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org>

| I haven't had the time to create a complete doc on behalf of
| TLUG or CLUE, but  I'm at least planning to put in a submission
| on my own behalf.

Thanks for doing this!  And thanks for showing it to us.

| Q5. How practical is No Charge Licensed Software? Are there
| hidden costs that need to be considered as part of the process
| of evaluating the alternatives available?

There is a hidden benefit to Open Source to be considered: the ability to switch
vendors more easily.

I think that this should be *extremely* important to governments.  It
affects worst-case long term costs.  Governments often feel they need
to consider worst-case situations.

I think that this deserves emphasis.