semi-green computing

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 18 15:48:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Matt Price wrote:
> a second seat/x-session on which my kids can surf the
> internet, type up homework, and also play educational games

I am wondering whether it is not more energy efficient to have a
couple of less powerful low powered laptop / netbooks with no
moving part? Maybe even an OLPC powered from foot pedal?

Other thing to think about is the power requirement and waste to
manufacture the computer and to throw away old computers.
Wouldn't it probably more green to get a couple of old servers,
keeping them from being thrown away, eventhough they use more
power? I actually wondering if one can get pretty powerful
machine and run it underclocked (so it run much cooler and less
heat), will it be more power efficient per processing power than
running less powerful machine as its specification (which will
have more heat)?

--
                              (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo