Response to the Federal govt RFI

bob 295 icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 18 13:55:08 UTC 2009

As an open source developer I'm always concerned when someone refers to open
source software as free in the sense of "gratuit".    The advantage of open
source lies much more in the free in the sense of "libre".     Libre implies
the ability to adjust and customize the software product to suit the
government needs exactly.    Libre implies that the government would have to
pay local developers to do those customizations.    Libre implies a better
product at a lower cost,  NOT an substitutable product for gratuit.

I was involved with Elections Canada in the past number of elections as an
automation coordinator.    That software is a classic example of a vendor
(IBM) solution not fitting the needs of the customer (EC),  but the customer
not having the ability make any changes.     Unfortunately when we floated
the possibility of the Canadian Government creating an open source project to
generate the next generation of EC software,  we ran square up against what I
would call the "need to have someone to sue should something go wrong"
mentality.    The Canadian Government doesn't yet see themselves as a partner
in a process which provides a service,  but rather they see themselves as a
customer purchasing a product which is supposed to provide the service.
This is a shame because if they could make that mindshift I'm convinced that
our taxpayer $$$ could be more efficiently allocated in the software area.

In this era of multi billion $ stimulus packages aimed at creating jobs,  we
should be emphasizing the immediate local Canadian job creation potential
offered by customizable open source government software solutions.    We
should be emphasizing the long term value and cost savings afforded by
customizable open source software.    We should be giving the Canadian
government examples where this collaborative custom software development
model has worked,  with specific emphasis on taxpayer savings.

bob