Open source Band website software?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 15 02:45:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Richard Dice <rdice-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi Madi,
>
> Have you and/or your friend considered Myspace?  While it's not open source
> per se, and while personally I find it pretty awful, it is where all the
> bands in the world have their web space.  There are a lot of plugins that
> are tailored to bands, e-newletter distribution, audio, photos, tour
> calendars, etc.
>
> If what your friend cares about is being a successful band, Myspace is a
> pretty much a must-do.

Similar is true for Facebook, too; I'm not quite sure where preference
would lie between the two.

As you say, it's not "open source", and the services are in many ways
*quite* proprietary, however, Facebook and Myspace have become "shared
social platforms" and there are specific merits to using common
platforms of that sort over putting up your own individual "web space"
where it may NOT interoperate easily with peoples' calendars and such.

It's definitely worth thinking about: there are also some substantial
demerits to using Myspace/Facebook, including the "RMS head exploding"
property.  (I expect he's *very* unkeen on their platforms!)
Mike Ditka  - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have
given us arms."