NFSLinux Clients AIX Servers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 11 21:11:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 03:38:55PM -0500, John Miles wrote:
> Hi,
> Last night Drew was kind enough to provide me with a pretty cool solution to
> a problem we're having (NFS proxy)
> (4 AIX boxes serving up dozens of NFS exports each to a couple of thousand
> machines.... and somehow everytime a mass of machines try to mount them,
> apparently the client's do not time out and begin hammering the NFS
> servers).
>
> I'd like to try and understand why the problem actually happens - and the
> answer could simply be - AIX won't use standardized NFS, but wondering if
> there is a definitive answer.
>
> Thanks for the info - and the post-meeting suds!

Well NFS has lots of variations.

V2, V3, V4, tcp or udp, soft versus hard, interruptable, etc.

Different assumptions are made by clients and servers, and perhaps when
lots of clients connect at once, if they use UDP you end up with dropped
packets, and then lots of delays and timeuts and retries for a while.

--
Len Sorensen