The state of 64-bit Desktop Linux

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 11 18:53:25 UTC 2009

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Marc Lanctot wrote:
>> - The applications I use the most: firefox (with acroread, flash, and
>> java plugins), thunderbird (with lightning and google calendar plugin),
>> gvim and vim, gcc/g++, make, java, subversion, latex (tetex), pidgin,
>> and audacious.
>>
>> - If CUPS supports a printer in 32-bit Linux, would there be any issues
>> with that same printer through CUPS in 64-bit?
>>
>> I'm looking forward to finall harnessing the power of a 64-bit processor :)
>
> I'm not sure that running 64 bit Linux would make any appreciable
> difference in performance for those applications.

Haha, very good point!

I should have mentioned that:

a) I want to address large memory (4 GB at the moment, maybe 8 GB or
more in the future)

b) There will certainly be an appreciable difference in performance in
the programs that I'm producing with g++, gcc, and make...  I can
promise you that :)

Marc

--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.