The state of 64-bit Desktop Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 11 16:29:26 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:04:59AM -0500, Marc Lanctot wrote:
> - The applications I use the most: firefox (with acroread, flash, and
> java plugins), thunderbird (with lightning and google calendar plugin),
> gvim and vim, gcc/g++, make, java, subversion, latex (tetex), pidgin,
> and audacious.

No idea who writes the plugins for thunderbird (I don't use GUI mail
clients).  Java is almost certainly going to be a problem, with flash
potentially "working" now.  Everything else will work for sure.

If it is open source, it will almost certainly work.  If it is not open
source, then it depends.

> - If CUPS supports a printer in 32-bit Linux, would there be any issues
> with that same printer through CUPS in 64-bit?

There shouldn't be, unless you use a proprietary driver.