The state of 64-bit Desktop Linux

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 11 15:52:48 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

My main machine at home has really been slow and I realized I made a bad
purchase 2 years ago. I'm quite sure it was low quality hardware that
was to blame, a HP Pavilion that came with a Pentium D chip which I'd
never heard of. I never figured out if Ubuntu was the cause of any of
the slow down but I do know that when I used Fluxbox over Gnome, or KDE
applications vs. Gnome applications the slowdown was more tolerable. If
I left my machine on all the time.. after 2-3 days it became unusable
unless I rebooted it. It became quite loud too, regardless of how many
fans I'd used to try to fix the heat problem.

I recently ordered a Dell Precision T3400. It's coming with a 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo (3 GHz) processor. It's a desktop intended to be a home
machine, user-friendly enough for my girlfriend to use as well.

In the past I've fought with 64-bit distributions. It's not Linux itself
that was the problem, it was the lack of compatibility for certain key
applications I'd gotten used to, mainly: Flash and Java browser plugins.

Now I've done the whole having a separate Firefox, or having a 32-bit
plugin wrapper, or using open flash alternatives. I'm not interested in
these "hacks". I would like to run Adobe Flash native and Sun's (not
Blackdown or anything else) Java plugin for Firefox. I ran into so many
problems that I decided I wasn't ready to run 64-bit Linux on a desktop
and have been dealing with a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit capable processor.

I've seen recently that Adobe *finally* released support for 64-bit
Flash in version 10 (beta?).

It seems like after 2 years there's hope for me running 64-bit Linux on
my desktop.

My questions are, /from your experience/

- I'll need to shrink the partition with Vista on it to make space for
my Linux partition. I usually use GNU parted. Do you foresee any issues
with this?

- Is the 64-bit NVIDIA drivers stable and working well (compared to the
32-bit ones). I'm getting a "256MB PCIe x16 nVidia NVS 290, Dual Monitor
DVI Capable". The most intense thing I do with my video card is watch
movies (no games, no video production, etc.) With my current machine,
even watching a single movie will cause noticeable slow down afterwards.

- Is 64-bit Flash 10 stable and working well?

- Can I use an up-to-date Sun 64-bit Java plugin for Firefox (let's say
"up-to-date means" 5.0 or later)

- Is there any reason I would install, say, Debian vs. Ubuntu. Of all
the distros I've tried these two remain my favorite. However, Ubuntu has
continued to let me down since it came out. I keep using it because it's
more user friendly for my girlfriend (nice apps for Digital Cameras
etc.) though I have gone back and forth several times. The main issue I
have is that it makes a lot of assumptions that slow your machine down..
like file system options and running several unnecessary background
processes that bloat up the system. I've had problem with compiz slowing
down video as well. Maybe this won't be much of an issue on the new
machine... or maybe I can just look into a HOWTO for slimming down the
default Ubuntu.

- Are there any other obvious problems running 64-bit Linux on a Desktop
I should know about?

Your answers will determine whether or not I stick with 32-bit OS for
the time-being. Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc

--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.