Japanese on Linux

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 8 21:33:37 UTC 2009

I believe that most alternate-language input is handled by SCIM/SKIM.
My girlfriend is Chinese and I set her up with the appropriate IM
settings, which allows her to select from english/Chinese from a
little floating bar (or a shortcut key).

Other asian languages would also use SCIM, but with the appropriate
plugins and fonts.

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Gary Layng <glayng-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm learning the Japanese language.  My sensei, having had enough of viruses
> and worms and spyware and miscellaneous other pieces of the Wow that is
> Windows, is asking about Linux.
>
> What I need to know is, how do I set up a nice modern distribution to allow
> for dual language input in e-mail: English and Japanese.
>
> All the sites I've been able to Google are quite aged, and basically are
> intended for high end sysadmins, not the "spell it out for me and don't skip
> a step" types like Your Humble Correspondent.  What's the state of the art
> procedures in setting up a nice modern home (emphasis on "home") PC with the
> ability to use Japanese input on its e-mail program?  Any leads as to where
> to look?
>
> Preferred distributions would be the more common ones, like Mandriva or
> Ubuntu.
>
> If the website's in Japanese, that's OK.
> --
> there's no place like 127.0.0.1

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support