Japanese on Linux

Gary Layng glayng-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 8 18:01:01 UTC 2009

I'm learning the Japanese language.  My sensei, having had enough of viruses
and worms and spyware and miscellaneous other pieces of the Wow that is
Windows, is asking about Linux.

What I need to know is, how do I set up a nice modern distribution to allow
for dual language input in e-mail: English and Japanese.

All the sites I've been able to Google are quite aged, and basically are
intended for high end sysadmins, not the "spell it out for me and don't skip
a step" types like Your Humble Correspondent.  What's the state of the art
procedures in setting up a nice modern home (emphasis on "home") PC with the
ability to use Japanese input on its e-mail program?  Any leads as to where
to look?

Preferred distributions would be the more common ones, like Mandriva or
Ubuntu.

If the website's in Japanese, that's OK.
--
there's no place like 127.0.0.1