Advice for a document management system

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 6 13:46:34 UTC 2009

Hi all,
Thanks so far for your answers, both off- and on-list. I've been
reviewing these responses and trying to wrap my head around this
problem. Ultimately, I'm not looking to have a role in this project;
ideally I'd like to find someone who I could feel comfortable
introducing to my client, that can run with this problem.  I have some
concerns, however, with what I've read so far.

1. Substituting OO.o for MS Office doesn't strike me as a winning
proposition. In my (albeit limited) use of the application, I've come
away with the impression that while it may solve some issues, it will
create others. In the end, the client will end up with different
headaches altogether.

2. LaTeX or DocBook XML, while clearly a respected choice by this
group, is also to be approached with great caution. The assumption
being that non-technical users will balk at it. I get that, for sure.
But I still wonder if, with the right template design, a LaTeX or
DocBook expert couldn't put together a sample document, and arrange
for training of the staff who will use this. I think once people saw
this text-based file on the one hand, then saw a single command given
and boom! instant, perfect HTML and PDF versions -- they would find
that very persuasive. Perhaps persuasive enough to actually learn and
use this thing.

Let me be a bit more specific now. The client is the Ontario
Legislature. They are required to produce "Hansards", verbatim
transcripts of the proceedings of the legislature. These documents are
published on their web site. Here's an example of a PDF of a recent
legislative session:

http://www.ontla.on.ca/house-proceedings/transcripts/files_pdf/29-JAN-2009_L108.pdf

You'll note that the document is both quite long and features a fairly
complicated layout, not to mention a large number of individual
paragraph and character styles. There are also errors in the rendering
of this document (for example, several blank pages). The original
documents produced in Word are done with very specific Word styles, so
I would say that the users are slightly above your average "non-
technical".

My thinking is that, any solution that requires post-processing is not
adequate. They already have a system that has several idiosyncrasies,
and exchanging that for another one (OO-based) is probably not going
to be accepted.

If there are any serious, knowledgeable advocates of a clean document
creation pipeline, I'm looking forward to hearing from you. If you
feel this can be done with OO without compromising the translation
between formats, show me some examples using documents as complex as
the kind at issue here! :-)

Cheers,
Aaron.