Windows 7 will kill Linux on netbooks -- NOT!!

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 5 02:53:48 UTC 2009

Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> To anyone who was bothered by the ZD story "Windows kicks Linux to the
> curb", (http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=379) suggesting that the
> arrival of Windows 7 would close the window of opportunity for Linux on
> desktops -- and specifically netbooks...
>
> I have sources that suggest that MS will want netbook vendors to pay 50%
> more for Windows 7 per system than they now pay for XP. And in return,
> they'll get a crippled version of Windows 7 that will only be able to
> run three programs simultaneously:
> http://www.liliputing.com/2009/02/microsoft-to-offer-crippled-version-of-windows-7-for-netbooks.html
>

> In other words, Microsoft may be playing its own part to keep Linux very
> much alive on netbooks.
>
> - Evan

The mainstream success of Linux should not, and I hope will not, ride on
the fates of Microsoft. Anyone interested in the long term success of
Linux needs to think more about how to make Linux as a collective better
for Jane and Joe User. That's it. Heck, I hope MS and Apple keep on
doing well. It will keep us on our toes. :)

Madi