Debian question - stuck between sid and experimental on gnome

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 4 21:14:56 UTC 2009

i am evailing sabayon/gentoo and now  sidux/debian,
i wanted to go with a constantly updaing distro, that doesnt have fixed release cycle (that is just so BAD),
and as cool as gentoo is (and sabayon), if i can get what I want out of debian, and then still benifit
in certain areas from the ubuntu community (resources), that might be my best bet .. but I am
just so feed up with disto release cycles, and fixed release cycles, and debian "sid" might be "the answer",
(i definitely dont mind weekly software updates (that i choose), in fact there kinda fun, plus picking selectively from unstable, and
even experimental, and hopefully being able to back out, but i will backup my own stable mixture just to be sure),
so  I have a question regarding package management for debian,
that i am sure one of the many debian users on this list might know the answer,

i installed sidux, to get me "sid"
and i have installed some stuff from "experimental" repo.
and of course stuff from the main "sid" unstable repo (by default),
now i want gnome 2.24.1
the sid is 2.22.2~5
and the experimental is
2.24.2~2

but i would like 2.24.1

now I could survive with 2.22.2 but i know there will be times when i want something
more bleeding edge then whats in 'sid' but not as bleeding edge and perhaps totally broken
as is in "experimental" repo.

how can i selectively grab 2.24.1 ?
now this might be a bad example, because maybe debian never packaged ".deb" the 2.24.1 version,
but even if that is the case (with this gnome example), it certainly would popup up
with other packages, where one would want to grab that version thats "in the middle".
I read something about a lock feature in aptitude, to not allow a update to something you
fix/lock to a certain version, but in this case I don't want to do that.

any ideas?

i know i could tar ball ./configure/make it, but.... would be better to do it purely through apt ? to keep
things happy?

# sid (unstable) (gnome): The GNOME Desktop Environment, with extra components
1:2.22.2~5: all
# experimental (gnome): The GNOME Desktop Environment, with extra components
1:2.24.2~2: all

thanks,

--

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>