files and disk sectors

colin davidson colinpdavidson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 4 18:58:08 UTC 2009

Hi Matt,

You can definitely find out which file is at which sector. In fact,
there are probably many ways to do this. A last resort methods is to
dump the disk (dd the raw device). You have to have a larger partition
to do this, of course. Then you can use a binary editory and manually
examine and interpret the dump (you will have to understand
partitioning and filesystem formats to do this). As I said, a last
resort. Some filesystems come with tools - what filesystem do you have
on your disk? The answer to your question (and others, potentially)
will depend on that.

Assuming that you're using one of the "ext" family, you could check
wikipedia for useful information/links:

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2"

Cheers, Colin