Has Anyone Heard Of: Phantom OS

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 3 17:25:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:54:18AM -0500, Michael Lauzon wrote:
> A excerpt from the story:
>
> "It's nine degrees Fahrenheit in Moscow right now. That's the kind of
> cold that makes a man concentrate on his work so he can keep from
> remembering that the tears the wind blows out of his eyes will freeze
> on the side of his face before they hit the ground.
>
> In the middle of this icebox, Dmitry Zavalishin is cooking up a new
> operating system. He calls it Phantom. Phantom is a different approach
> on the OS than any other out there, with the primary goal of being
> immortal. In Phantom, powering off the computer will not cause
> programs to lose state. They can pick up where they left off as soon
> as the machine is turned back on."
>
> Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/03/phantom_russian_os/

So if you are constantly snapshotting, you are going to be VERY
inefficient, and your laptop will have very little battery life.

If you have no filesystem, but only persistent state, then any error
that does happen will be exteremely hard to recover from since how do
you recreate the current persistent state from scratch if the system has
gotten into a bad state.

So interesting idea, which I expect to never hear about ever again,
because no one will want anything with these tradeoffs.

--
Len Sorensen