laptop suggestions?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 2 19:50:17 UTC 2009

In general I've had good luck with HP Pavillions, but my more recent
acquisition (tx2500ca) is still going through "growing pains".

Turion X2 Ultra CPU: Powerful, but can get a little "toasty" on the lap
Mobility Radeon HD 3200 IGP graphics (working quite nicely with newest
FGLRX drivers)
12" reversible-tablet screen /w touchscreen and digitizer pen (update
wacom drivers to use pen)
Intel HD audio (output is good, mic in seems to not be working)
Good battery life: (1.5h of doing 3d stuff /w Blender used maybe 25-30%)
Expresscard slot (PCMCIA successor, haven't tested)
Gigabit ethernet: native support
802.11n Wireless: (driver issues in current kernels. B43 project
expects to be addressing N cards hopefully sometime in the
not-too-far-future)
320GB HDD
4GB RAM
Cardreader: native supoprt
Bluetooth: native support

tabletpcreview has a page on it here:
  http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1217

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Salman Ahmed <fia_wrc_fanatic-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> You might want to consider Lenovo laptops. I have a 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T61 that's very good except for it's battery life... the 15" WSXGA screen and the NVidia card seem to be big battery hogs though. And the 9-cell lenovo battery for my T61 wasn't cheap (CDN$175).
>
> I have a feeling you're averse to Dell Latitude laptops, otherwise I'd recommend a new-ish Latitude D830. They are standard issue in our company and my entire team has been using fairly well-specced D830s without any problems. Compared to my personal Lenovo T61 I find my office Latitude D830 to be better built with an excellent display (15" UXGA) and amazing battery life.
>

> Salman Ahmed

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2