laptop suggestions?

matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 2 18:45:55 UTC 2009

hey folks,

somehting's just killed the second hard drive in a row on my dell
latitude d820 -- i suspect either the constant overheating or a bug
with hard drive controllers in ubuntu 8.04/8.10 -- and i'm htinking it
might be worht just buying a new laptop instead of going through the
same drive nightmare another time.  has anyone bought a reasonably
proced, dual-core laptop with a half-decent battery life lately?  I
guess my preference would be for an asus or something without windows,
but if i have to pay the windows tax i will.  anyway:  any
suggestions?  i'm headed down to the states next week and thought i
might pick up something cheap.  thanks!

matt