OT: Trying to offload some new wireless network hardware

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 1 21:35:16 UTC 2009

David J Patrick <djp at ...> writes:
> linuxcaffe's access points are working fine, but our central router gave
> up the ghost a while ago. Our principal packet re-director is a
> consumer-grade Belkin piece o junk, and I'm hoping to upgrade. I'm
> debating the use of an "appliance", like a WRT, vs. a "snottier" box,
> like P4, and a stack of NICs.

Imnsho a P4 and a 'stack of NICs' will likely do better than any consumer grade
box you can buy for money now. Otoh, if you would shop around for an older Cisco
or other brand name business grade router, that would very likely fit the bill
for the same money and work almost forever. A well used older model Cisco should
be well under $100 and with some expert programming will very likely fulfill ALL
your special packet routing needs, plus it's an all metal super rugged part that
will last almost forever.

$0.02 (cdn)
Peter