dual booting

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 31 19:58:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 06:07:04AM -0500, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> I managed to install Kubuntu 9.10 on my laptop, the updated install CD
> seems to have fixed previous install bugs. This time the install went
> well.My audio works and I don't get a blank screen and hang after a
> reboot.
>
> I've usually installed Windows first then installed Linux and allowed
> the installer to find Windows to setup the dual boot. This time I am
> doing thing the other way around.

Windows doesn't give a shit about other OSs nor the users interest in
those other OSs.  So why would you make your life painful by doing it
in a way you know is simply stupid?

> So what do I need to save, backup? How to I get grub repaired to dual
> boot? I am assuming Kubuntu 9.10 is using grub 2.0?

Boot the installer, mount the Linux drives, chroot there, and reinstall
grub to the MBR and then figure out how to add the windows partition to
the grub menu if you don't have something like update-grub that might
do it automatically (It seems Debian testing/unstable at least can auto
detect windows partitions now and add them to grub's menu).

--
Len Sorensen