Xfig questions

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 30 06:41:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:28:03 -0500
David J Patrick <djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Howard Gibson wrote:
> >    I suggest you set your units to Imperial decimal.  This gives you a 60x30 grid that fits on your screen.
> why that's clever. It makes the carpenter in me shudder, but I can deal
> with that ;-)
> >    In SolidWorks, you can tell the software to draw a rectangle 30mm wide, by 4.5" long.  Your $13K investment is not entirely a waste!
> for thirteen grand you are invited to WorkStupid(tm)
> "yes boss! z-axis in angstroms ? you got it !"
> [cut to: grown men in hard hats weeping openly]
> djp

David,

   One final thought about CAD.

   The correct way to work in CAD is to draw at 1:1 scale, and to scale the output to the printer.  QCAD works this way.  You can do this in AutoCAD too.

   There are AutoCAD users who scale their drawing, and then print this 1:1.  These users should be shot and peed on.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org