Xfig questions

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 30 06:25:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:28:03 -0500
David J Patrick <djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Howard Gibson wrote:
> >    I suggest you set your units to Imperial decimal.  This gives you a 60x30 grid that fits on your screen.
> why that's clever. It makes the carpenter in me shudder, but I can deal
> with that ;-)
> >    In SolidWorks, you can tell the software to draw a rectangle 30mm wide, by 4.5" long.  Your $13K investment is not entirely a waste!
> for thirteen grand you are invited to WorkStupid(tm)
> "yes boss! z-axis in angstroms ? you got it !"
> [cut to: grown men in hard hats weeping openly]
> djp

David,

   Don't sell SolidWorks short.  I have just finished a shed in my back yard.  I did the basic design in SolidWorks.  I made all sorts of horrible carpentry mistakes in 3D, on my computer.  Some people watching me actually build the thing probably thought I knew what I was doing.

   I have an architect's scale.  From QCAD, I can print to scale and measure stuff off my drawing.  From Xfig, at best, you will have to scale, and calculate.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org