Xfig questions

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 30 01:18:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 19:29:48 -0500
David J Patrick <djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> so can ya tell me please how to make an Xfig canvas a hypothetical 60ft
> wide x 30ft tall ? canya huh ?
>
> thanks,
> djp

David,

   I suggest you set your units to Imperial decimal.  This gives you a 60x30 grid that fits on your screen.

   Xfig may think you have set your units to Imperial Decimal.  It has no way of knowing that you are working in Kampuchean Furlongs, Etruscan light years or some proprietary unit of yours that you have named after your cat.  Even a sophisticated CAD package like AutoCAD has no clue of what its numbers mean.

   Provide a scale bar to indicate some nominal length.

   In SolidWorks, you can tell the software to draw a rectangle 30mm wide, by 4.5" long.  Your $13K investment is not entirely a waste!

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org