Xfig questions

David J Patrick djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 30 00:47:42 UTC 2009

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I wrote a tutorial paper on Xfig. It's available under 'white papers' at
> the url:
>
> http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~phiscock/
I most certainly noticed that Peter, I learned a lot from it and will be
re-reading it for what I missed or wasn't able to process.

> It is definitely possible to rotate by an arbitrary angle. Select one of
> the two 'rotation' icons in the main menu. Left-click (mouse button 1) on
> the 'rotn angle' button at the bottom of the screen. A widget pops up
> where you can enter a new rotation angle. Thereafter, select a rotation
> icon in the main menu and click on an object to rotate it through that
> angle.
That seems to be the thory, and here (ubuntu 9.04 + Xfig3.2patch5) that
behavior hold true /only/ for 90deg. Otherwise no object is selectable
(nor rotates) .. ?

> When exporting to Latex, bear in mind that some rotation angles are not
> supported in some export format. However, .eps should be fine for
> anything.
I'm trying to train myself to work from text towards latex, because I
hope to script a lot of the process, and I want to be able to push most
any content through a limited set of .sty les. I'm going to outsource
the aesthetic. My Mom was an habitual publisher and as a result, I'm a
wiz at letraset etc and literal cut-and-paste and lay-out. To bad my
actual graphics ability is so lame.

> Why use anything else than eps? Because other formats (such as pictex)
> allow one to type in a latex math formula into a diagram. I'll elaborate
> if that is of interest.
I have no need for it a.t.m., but I see how pictex is the second step up
in image complexity. I'll cross that bridge when I'm forced over it by
the content.

> You can definitely make scale drawings with Xfig. The maintainer (Brian
> Smith, as I recall) uses it mainly for that purpose.
Yeah, half of the examples would have demanded it.
thanks Peter,
djp