Xfig questions

David J Patrick djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 29 21:49:47 UTC 2009

Howard Gibson wrote:

>    I just tried entering -90, and it worked fine.  I am on version 3.2 here.
and how does -35 work for you ?

>> I designed most of the caffe, including all of the "cabinetry", using
>> Qcad; good but overkill for the job at hand. The current mission is to
>> provide simple graphics and illustrations for a .. book.
>
>    Save your QCAD image as PNG.  Load the PNG image into Xfig, and trace over that.
oh, you mean do it twice in two different drawing packages ... ?
not if I can help it.

With regards to scaling floorplans, if I can make a canvas that is
(theoretically) 60ft wide by 30ft high, I can bring in a .png output of
the architectural drawing and scale it until it's close. Then tracing
over that should give me an approximately scaled master.

Another example is in trying to sketch out a planogram (retail display
map) for a given area, let's say it's 5ft x 2ft, if I can make a canvas
big enough, I should be able to create a master .fig and work in rough
scale.

Nothing is going to be to cut from it, and there's no precision
required, just want to learn to "bang it out" and avoid file format
translation wherever possible.

djp