Xfig questions

David J Patrick djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 29 18:24:29 UTC 2009

Howard Gibson wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 08:28:51 -0500
> David J Patrick <djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Xfig ? but why ?
>> yes Xfig
>
>    Yes, indeed!
>
>> so the questions;
>>

>> how to rotate other than 90deg ?
>> seems obvious, can't do it.
>
>    Yes, you can.  When you click on any of the buttons on the side of your screen, look at the buttons on the bottom of your screen.  It is there.
I see it, I click it, I enter non-90, and can't seem to apply it.

>> If I want to use fig to create (low-accuracy) scale floorplans, by
>> tracing over a CAD image, what's the best way to set up the scale ?
>
>    Xfig is not really up to the sort of scale drawing required by CAD.  If you want cheap CAD, investigate Qcad.
I designed most of the caffe, including all of the "cabinetry", using
Qcad; good but overkill for the job at hand. The current mission is to
provide simple graphics and illustrations for a .. book.

>> Is there such thing as a table-like arrangement, and if there is, would
>> one be able to have individual cel contents ?
>
>    I do not understand what you mean.  You can array drawing components and edit the individual components.  None of this is the least bit intelligent.right, makes sense, please un-send the question. ;-)

   If you want intelligence for this process, buy yoursel
uhhh.. probably not. I've stared at AutoCAD and solidworks screens, as
well as Maya and Blender, and brother, I'm not going there. ever. not
with this brain. Qcad, Inkscape, Dia, Xfig, OK, anything more and I'll
spend all day trying to make a rectangle.
  the '90s.

>    Xfig uses transfig to do its file conversions.  Read up on this.  If you are using LaTeX, you should be using Makefile to build your documents.
thank you so much for the info, I'll shoult if I get stuck again,
djp